Monday, March 31, 2014
TAD Essay
Different subjects share many similarities in their level of thinking and comprehension. In order to complete the task in these subjects, many levels are followed to be able to reach a conclusion and call that task a success and complete. Throughout my short career at George School, I have applied many steps in coming to a conclusion like a direct proof or syllogism, similar to that in mathematics or after trial and error come to the conclusion like in biology. However there are some steps that are skipped, applied or forgotten when it comes to problem solving or finishing a task. I have noticed this and how it differs from subjects, but two subjects that seem the farthest apart may contain the same aspects of higher level thinking. Bloom’s Taxonomy depicts what has become almost second nature to us as our education continues and we do the objectives on a chart without even consciously being aware we are doing these tasks. In this essay I will talk about and explain the process in which I went about completing my one hundred lines of poetry in English and completing my health presentation.
In English we were assigned to write a hundred line poem in any style possible as we were given vast opportunity and freedoms in how we went upon doing this assignment. My knowledge of poetry opened doors on the different styles and meters that I could apply which lead to the creative aspect of this assignment. Creativity during this project comprised a large portion of this project, but it was through the analysis of a poet I gained influence and insight on a particular choice of style and then through synthesis was I able to find my creative and artistic choice. Breaking down information, synthesizing it and then creating a solution from these prior steps are common in English. When I go about interpreting poems or stories in English, this all arises from creative thinking. During this assignment, we developed a topic and constructed our poetry. Using free verse led to the construction of lines that were personal and deep as they were there to express a detailed image in the reader’s mind. Inventing the poetry from scratch and rewriting the poem after mistakes were found, is how I reached my final product. In English, every step we take in coming towards the final product is found in creativity.
My Health presentation was about steroids and inhalants. Again like in English, and most other subjects, the first step in going about this project was applying my knowledge about these two substances. However, unlike English I feel that creative thinking is less common in health and there are more interpretations from facts. In the health presentation, we organized, planned and presented our presentation after analyzing the information. I believe that in Health, being creative is less often an opportunity than in English, because I believe that we derive information from what we discuss and offer. However, when we did use synthesis, we designed a visual aid to express emotions in the bland facts that we were performing to the class. Performance took time to perfect as it took a lot of organization and planning. Although Health does incorporate creativity into its subject field, it is not used in the same way as in English and remains parallel to it. But, how we use creativity in those specific ways heightens the intellectual thought process in the same way as in English.
Health and English class lay on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to creativity. I now realized creative thinking is used more in English than in Health. When we read something in English, our creative thinking is our interpretation and perspective unlike Health where what we believe is from statistics that have no area for a different perspective, because they are accepted by everyone as an answer. Creativity is useful in English in whatever we do, because there is always room for a different point of view and this is usually encouraged. In health, we can learn the facts and understand them, but this is as far as we move on Blooms taxonomy chart. Through creative thinking in English conclusions, interpretations and hypothesis are formed. In Health, analysis and synthesis of information is how we understand and come to an end.
In Health and in English, what we do on our levels of thinking are very different. In English creativity is important and a portion of finding answers. In Health, the facts are already given so there is no room for trial and error or creativity in what we mostly do. Creativity is not particularly useful in Health, however what we do in Health is similar to what we do in Math. Interpreting information, constructing something from what we were given and then developing something is how they are similar. While they are different in many areas, creativity is still used. Although creativity is used in both subjects, how we are creative and synthesize is different.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment