Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Black Hoodie

Reading black hoodie brought a lot of emotions, relating to the serious case of prejudice and racism in many countries, but also incorporated humor through the eyes and the perspective the author gives us by the narrator. The artistic choice this author used in this story by using terms and talking how any person would in real life was a choice that I appreciated a lot. It was a funny story that, I believe, eased some of the tension and stigmas brought forth when any person would talk about these political issues. However, I do believe there are areas in the story that I find jump out at me when I read the story and leave me a little less fulfilled and good after I finish the story. Some of the language the author chooses to use seems to me a little uneasy and incorrect when he is describing Nigeria’s parents. We talked about this in class and now I do realize this is eye opening only due to my biasedness living in the United States of America. What we perceive as politically correct and non-politically correct is different as you move from country to country. Adding this effect to the story adds a little more realism to the tale that the author is trying to portray. Although reading this story I did enjoy it a lot, using a constant tone of humor for this topic, I personally view as maybe not the best. However, I have not read the entire story so the voice might change or the author chooses to wrap it up more seriously at the end. All in all I think it is a great story and enjoyed reading it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment